Thursday, September 20, 2007

The Day My Camera Died

It was a day like any other at work, little did I know that I would destroy my camera by the time the day was over. This was my seventh time this season to enter into the Subway. Paul Simonetti was going with me, so at least I had some company. I really did not feel like doing the Subway from the top down. I spent so much time in there already that the thought of going down from the top really did not excite me. Instead, I thought that I needed to make the route a little more interesting by checking out some of the side canyons that came in. The first one we came to was Pine Springs Wash or Wolf Springs Wash. The map is not entirely clear on which one it is. It was a good idea as we saw some nice pools and some small waterfalls. I also learned that I could make it out of the Subway using this route. That would have to wait for another day. The next drainage to check out was Little Creek. I was not expecting much, but I really liked Little Creek. It had some impressive features with water and vegetation. The drainage became more narrow and there were a few small scrambling moves that we had to make. Then came the fateful scrambling move. It was right at a small waterfall. I went around it to the right. There was a very easy way that was basically a walk up, but I wanted to do a little scrambling. So I grabbed a rock that was connected to the rock above me. I tried to pull myself up on that rock, but in the process, the rock broke off. Will, I was flying through the air after that. I landed hard on my right side, bounced, and ended up right in the water. My first thought was that I deserved that, going off somewhere that would be frowned upon at work. The next thought was, oh no, my camera is in my pocket. When I looked at it, the thing was trashed. I slammed into it and broke the screen and the camera was just generally messed up. I thought that I might be able to save the thing if it dried out, but the likeliness of that was rather slim. Paul was just happy that I was okay, but I spent the next few hours sulking about my camera. I got over after a while as Paul and I continued up Little Creek to some great spots that I wish I could have photographed. I really wanted to return and make a trip down Little Creek ending up at the Subway, then coming back out Pine Springs Wash. Well, Paul and I finished by hiking up the Subway and hiking out. I spent the next day at work researching cameras, because I needed something to document all these great trips that I got to do for work.

No comments: