Saturday, October 6, 2007

Reliving the Trail Crew Days

I got to relive my trail crew days recently. We had a group from the American Canyoneering Association up and they wanted to do some trail work. Naturally, we took them out to the Subway where we get the largest impact from backcountry visitors. I got to talk to Jesse, one of the trail crew guys, who actually knew my trail crew leader from Grand Canyon, John Berry. That was interesting because I had not heard anything about that guy for years. The work was great. I enjoyed so much getting back to the joy of throwing in checks, moving rock, dirting and seeing a vast improvement in the structure of the trail. My group was very gung-ho. There were so many people in a small area, but I think that I was able to people manage without too much difficulty. We got three sections of the trail improved, which was a fairly decent amount as far as I was concerned. The weather was very cold for the first time this year. The fleece and long pants were definitely needed. It made me really aspire to do more trail work in Zion next season, because for this season, there is only one week left.

No comments: