Thursday, October 18, 2007

Genius of Useless Stuff

My life now reminds me of a song by Cracker, where it goes, "Some people they gotta work, well I just hang around. Dreamin' up, useless stuff." I was thinking this as I was hiking the Eagle's Crags Trail.

I spent the morning filing for unemployment. This will be my first time ever. I justify it with the fact that I love my job, I want to come back to it, and I would work it still if my season was longer or if the job was year round. Thus, I will collect unemployment for as long as I can stand it. So this, being the first day that I truly have off, I did what I would usually do for work, except outside the park. I picked the Eagle's Crags because I never have hiked it before. Jacqueline and I attempted to find the trailhead a few weeks earlier, but missed it by a few inches. We headed up a road right next to the trail. On this day, I was able to find the trailhead. It was a beautiful day out for a hike and I was enjoying it. Now, without the green and gray on, I can rock out with my headphones on as I hike to let myself be a prime candidate for rattlesnakes and cougars if they want to take a swipe at me because I will not hear them coming. I also could not hear the other two hikers that I saw on the trail. It surprised me because this trail is definitely off the beaten path. There is nothing like singing out loud and then being surprised by a group of hikers to bring you some humility. I chatted a bit with them and continued on my way. The trail offered some great views of the park including Parunaweap, Shune's Creek, and some reservoir I had no idea was there. I was able to see places that most people don't get a good look at and some perspectives on the main canyon that are unique also. My main question is: do we really need a reservoir that large in the desert?
Especially in a place that not very many people at all use it. So the trail continued around the base of the Eagle's Crags. It got within maybe 100-200 feet of the top before it swung around to the backside. I thought about climbing to the top of the peaks, but it was loose junk and frankly I was just in the mood to explore. I guess if I went back with a more adventurous friend I could scramble to the top, but I figured that just hiking the trail was good enough on this day. The trail continued until it just kind of died. I assume it goes farther and probably gets a bit more discernable again later on, but frankly I did not have the patience or the time to just kind of do the bushwacking thing on this day. I went farther than what the map says is a trail, so I called that good and headed back for my tennis date with Jacqueline.

2 comments:

jess said...

unemployment, eh? i heard a rumor jacqueline and you are heading up north...

Unknown said...

Pete, you really are a genius of useless stuff :) Luckily for you though you know quite a bit of useful stuff as well!