Sunday, February 3, 2008

Elephant Arch

Fellow backcountry ranger David Sanders was in town this weekend chilling with us at 1658 Rim View Drive. We started the day being kind of lazy and since it was Groundhog Day, we definitely watched the movie. We finally got inspired to go out and do something a bit after noon. David hurt his hip a bit taking a fall on the Lava Falls Trail recently, so we could not do anything too strenuous. He decided to take Jacqueline and I out to the Red Cliffs Reserve near St. George. I had no idea that it was even there, so it was nice to make that find. I was also glad to have someone else plan a trip for once. We headed down a dirt road with some horses in front of us. We were able to overtake them before long and make our way down various other dirt roads. David knew where he was going and we finally hit something similar to a trail. It was a dry, sandy wash. The desert really has a lot of these. From there, he was not entirely sure where we were going. Twice, we ran into dead ends before finding the correct path. We even ran into a group of three women coming back from our intended destination. It was not long and there we were at Elephant Arch. It really looked like the head of an elephant. We took a few pictures and goofed around on the rocks. I enjoyed the rock that looked like a Mayan Temple, although no one else seemed to agree with me. Then we headed back. We had to walk in front of five people that were coming back from near the same area that we were at, but not the arch. Also, we got the pleasure of being passed by an ATV. All and all the day was good. It was about a three hour roundtrip, probably around six mile hike. A good way to spend Groundhog Day.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Pete, Angela and I watched Groundhog Day on the 2nd just for you. "It's cold out there..."

Brian

jess said...

I'm late, to wish you happy Groundhog day. Sounds like it was excellent. Right, right, right, right, right.....

Anonymous said...

Well, it's Groundhog Day....again...

Mark said...

Hey Pete! I randomly found your site and I am learning all sorts of new tidbits about you guys! I can't believe you are getting married!! Have I been away that long? I think your big news is wonderful...you both look very happy.

Matt Anderson said...

Hey thanks for the info on Elephant Arch. There isnt much available online about the Red Cliffs Desert Reserve. I recently found a smaller version of Delicate Arch also in the reserve. If you would like to see what I mean go to

http://mattsamazingsouthernutah.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

It was extremely interesting for me to read that article. Thanx for it. I like such topics and anything connected to this matter. I would like to read more on that blog soon.