Thursday, July 6, 2023

PCT Day One: Siskiyou Summit to Hyatt Lake


The first day of a big hike is never really the first day. The first day is when the idea pops in to your head that this is a good idea. That happened years ago. Then there is the prep work. You read books, blogs, posts, etc... about people who have done the trip before. Then you buy gear because one lighter tent or water filter may make the difference. Then you go through multiple stages of packing and anticipation. Finally when that morning arrives and day one begins, you feel a sense of relief that the event is actually finally materializing. That is how I felt as I awoke at 5:30 AM.


 Jacqueline and the kids would have to wake with me and everyone was mentally prepared to pile into the car early. We got out the door and on the road by 6:30 AM an we were off to the Siskiyou Summit, 3 1/2 hours away. The drive was fairly easy with mostly freeway down I-5 to get us there. I would be hiking the Oregon section excluding the 30 miles before the Siskiyou Summit that wound in an easterly direction from the Oregon border to the Siskiyou Summit. Since the Siskiyou Summit was only 5 miles as the crow flies from the Oregon border, I thought that would suffice.
We were able to find the trailhead by 10:00 AM. It was a tearful goodbye and everyone wished me good luck. Then it was a journey of 400+ miles and it begins with one step. It felt strange to start walking but I was excited. Immediately the trail lead me into the woods and I started to climb up and away from the road that I just left. The forest seemed dry and the vegetation rather thick. Most of my time that day was spent in the forest. Within minutes I had met my first PCT hiker. His name was Quiet American, or at least his trail name. We talked about the trail and he said that I was going to run into a lot of PCT hikers because so many people had skipped the Sierras and were now just hiking the Oregon section. That meant that the trail was going to be busier than I anticipated. I told him I was going to hike 23 miles today. He said that was a pretty big day for my first day, but I felt up to the challenge. Almost immediately, I started pacing myself using the step count on my watch. I took 10000 steps before taking a break and getting some snack food. Then I would take 5000 more steps before having a water break. 

I would keep this up most of the way through the trail. The trail wound its way through the forest and I soon found myself on the fairly open flanks of Pilot Rock. When looking at a map, you think, hey I will take that side trail to Pilot Rock. When out here, though, it would be nice to go up to Pilot Rock, but the real mission is to finish the trail. So I walk right by any side trails along the way. The trail continues its pathway of up and down through forest and open meadows. The day is hot and since I got a late start, I spend a lot of time out in the sun. I feel good because around 2:30, I pass another group that started today. I learn quickly that I am not a fast hiker, but a consistent mover. 


I take short breaks and keep the legs churning. This takes me past Hobart Bluff on some fairly steep slopes to a more level plain heading toward the Green Springs Hwy. There really has been only one water stop along the way where I ran into a bunch of PCT hikers just kind of hanging around the spring. This will continue to be the theme throughout whereas I filter my water and go. As I near the end of the day, though, the water starts to become a little thin. I reach Little Hyatt Reservoir and just pass on by though as I know there is a campground approaching.


 I am beat but I finish out the 23 miles necessary to plop my tent down around 8 pm. I run into the campground host and they point me to big field where no one else is. Later, when I go down to the lake to filter water, I find that most of the rest of the PCT hikers have taken campsites in the closed campground. I was hoping that the water would be easy to get here, but instead I have to walk extra down to the lake to get more water. I met some other PCTers on my walk back from the lake. So far everyone has seemed nice, but not like we are going to be long lasting friends. I make myself some dinner in the dark and then it is off to bed finally getting to sleep around 10. Big first day, we will see how it plays out for tomorrow.

No comments: