Thursday, July 13, 2023

Day 8: Past Tipsoo Butte to Summit Lake

 After hiking for only 16 miles the previous day, I should have been rested when I awoke but the grimy uncomfortable feeling of sleeping in a sleeping bag without getting a chance to rinse off made for an uncomfortable night. It was so much better when I got a chance to jump in a lake to get clean. I was determined to make that happen tonight. That meant an early start. I woke up with a 5 still on the hour hand and was greeted by a swarm of mosquitoes. Even with an early start, I still saw quite a few people zoom past me on the trail before I finally got going at 6:30.

I had an easy go of it at first as the trail descended through a thick forest until I got to the junction for Maidu Lake. I didn't go out to the lake because I had quite a bit of water still and it was early enough that a dip in the lake would just delay me. From here, the trail climbed uphill. It was not very rapid climbing but soon I was on a ridge with a thick canopy and trees all around me. The bugs were still not good and when I finally got to the junction for Six Horse Spring, I talked with some people about it. They were wondering how I could hike in a short sleeve and shorts. I seemed to be the only one using bug spray. I offered them some, but they declined because they had a reaction to it in the past. 

I had to go down to Six Horse Spring to get some water. This was quite a ways off the normal trail and when I saw someone coming back up, he seemed disappointed with the time it took to get there. The trail to the spring really went downhill with lots of switchbacks, but sure enough this large basin of water was there amongst the dry landscape. It was an oasis and there were many frogs and frog eggs. I was so happy that I switched filters as this one was pumping fast. I was out of there in no time and hiking back up the switchbacking trail. Later, I passed the person who was coming up the trail when I was going down making him one of the only people that I ever passed hiking on the whole trail.

The trail seemed to hug the ridge for a very long time, but eventually I was dropping down to Windigo Pass. When I got there, it was so hot and dry. I remembered that this was a place that there was a fire in years past as the name Windigo was familiar because of that. Other than the fire, there was not much to this place. It seemed hot, dry, and desolate. Luckily, there was a water cache at the trailhead. I saw some people that I knew at the water cache and we chatted for some time. Then I was off on my way. It always seemed to be me that left first as others definitely took longer breaks than me.

Heading up the trail, I was soon caught by the younger faster hikers. I was still watching the watch to see when I had taken 5000 steps. Each time I reached another 5000, I would take the burden of the pack off my back and have a break. It just so happened to put me on a great view of Cowhorn Mountain where many people would pass me. It was an awesome view and I was really enjoying Cowhorn Mountain even though the name was not quite appealing. The trail kept climbing and climbing until I was finally on the flanks of the peak itself. It would be really easy to just pop on over and climb the peak. I would leave it for another day. It was hard enough getting to each campsite, so why add more to it? I would have to come back though.

I stayed on the ridge for quite some time with a view down to the lakes below. Summit Lake came into view and so did Diamond Peak. Having climbed it a couple of years ago, I was familiar with this area. Up on the ridge the view was great and the mosquitoes were sparse. As I started to descend toward the lake, I could tell it was going to be much different. The mosquitoes were coming out in force and even after a 25 mile day, there was no rest for me. It was all I could do to get a tent up when I got to Summit Lake. It was constant harassment from the mosquitoes. 

Once the tent was up, I just laid there for a little bit enjoying my peace and quiet. There would be no meeting people around camp tonight. To many mosquitoes to socialize. Instead, I got my energy up for a jump in the lake. I thought the mosquitoes would follow me out to the lake, but not a one followed me out there. The lake was perfect temperature and I spent a long time just floating there enjoying the view of the mountain without the haunting approach of the mosquito. I did not want to go in, but as it was getting late, I eventually had to brave it. The worst thing about the mosquitoes is that it forces me to change my wet clothes inside the tent. Awkward and hard to keep everything dry. I managed and the only thing I had to go outside for was to cook dinner and brush my teeth. I made as quick of work on both of those things as I could and then it was time to doze off to sleep, happy that I could do that feeling clean from my dip in the lake.

No comments: