Saturday, July 22, 2023

PCT Day 17: Warm Springs River to Barlow Pass

I definitely did not sleep enough. Getting in late, being grimy and sweaty, it was a rough night. I even got a late start, not hitting the trail until 7 AM. Still I was not ready to get moving and putting on the pack again for another long day was going to be rough. My feet were so sore, especially around my Achilles. I had to move very slowly and I could not overextend myself at all. It was actually rather painful and it took quite some time to loosen up. The trail climbed slowly uphill, but it was barely noticeable. Then it descended slowly downhill. The trail was quiet, but I did run into some people on horseback who were far too boisterous for my current mood. I was about the miles today and I would not be happy unless I could cover a fair amount. Having done 31 miles the previous day, it would be tough to pack away even more miles today.
After about 7 miles, I was in Mt. Hood National Forest. This would be my first time hiking around Mt. Hood and I was preparing myself for the onslaught of human beings that was likely to be there. The trail was quiet at first until I came to a road with cars driving much too fast and probably the largest, fanciest sign I had seen thus far for the Pacific Crest Trail. From here the trail went right next to Timothy Lake. It was a beautiful lake and the trail was flat. There were numerous campsites by the lake mostly all occupied given that it was Saturday during the summer time. I thought about swimming in the lake, but knew if I took any extended break, I was likely to not make it to Timberline Lodge the following day for the buffet breakfast. So I plodded along always thinking I would have another opportunity to stop at the lake and get some water if I needed to. The lake seemed to last forever, but soon I was at the last little arm of the lake. I found a quiet spot to have a little lunch, but I neglected to refill my water. This would come back to haunt me later. Passing the junction for Little Crater Lake, I passed my last chance to fill my water.
The trail climbed steeply from here. The trail was all of sudden not shady and pleasant anymore, but rather hot and dry. I moved slowly uphill. My feet loosened up but I still was not moving quickly. I passed a group of younger PCT hikers resting in the shade. Given the miles I had been putting in every day, I was leaving behind many familiar faces. These new groups that I was running into were full of people I hadn't ever met. The trail climbed toward Wapinitia Pass. The heat and the uphill hiking were making my water supply deplete rapidly. I was hoping that at the pass, there may be running water. As I climbed, eventually the views of Mt. Hood were beginning. It still felt so far away though.
When I got to the pass, there was nothing there as far as running water. The pass itself was just a place to cross the road, but there was a big parking area right by the turn to Frog Lake. Here people could park and get on the PCT. I was happy to sit down on a bench with a picnic table and throw away the garbage that was in my pack. It wasn't like it made my pack that much lighter, but it did make it more cleanly. I didn't rest too long before I was climbing uphill again. Now, though, I was getting far too low on water. When I looked at the map, I could see that I would not cross any more creeks. I had an important decision to make. There was a junction just above me where a trail less than a mile long descended down to a lake. I had no choice but to leave my big pack and take the water filter and my water bottles down to the lake.
It is hard to describe how frustrating it is to get off trail because of poor planning. These were miles that I would have to add on and time that I would not get back. I even shortcut the trail because I needed to get there in the shortest amount of time. The lake itself looked so nice. How much fun would it be to just camp here for the night? It was shady and the lake was nice and warm. There were plenty of people swimming and camping around the lake. Instead, though, I would quickly fill the water bottles. I had to go out on a log and precariously balance to get the water, but eventually I had drank my fill and filled up the bottles. Then it was back up the trail I had just come down. I had lost a half hour which may not seem like much, but I wondered if I was going to have enough energy to make it close enough to Timberline Lodge. My goal for the night was Barlow Pass. From the lakes, it was only two miles, but it was uphill and it was getting late in the evening. I persevered and I soon found myself at a nice large sign letting me know it was Barlow Pass. I was very happy to be there. When I looked around, though, there didn't seem to be many campsites. A couple of people pointed out to me that there were more places to camp down the road, so I found a nearly flat spot down the road. I set up the tent, made a quick dinner, read my book, but mostly I was just happy to not be moving for a while. I had put in 27 miles to make it to this point, but I knew I had another full day ahead of me the following day. I would have to be up early if I hoped to make breakfast at Timberline Lodge.


 

No comments: