Saturday, March 2, 2013

Narrows in Winter

I had been pining away wondering about how the work that we had done in the fall in the Lower Narrows had held up with 5 months of leaving it alone. So I put on a wet suit and made my way up to the Lower Narrows. It was a warm day for the 2nd of March meaning it was somewhere in the low 60's. The Narrows were incredibly quiet which is a break away from the normal. The water was chilly, but I wore two pairs of booties to deal with it. That seemed to protect me and since the flow was low, it actually turned out to be rather comfortable. The social trails looked great and it was so nice to not have the masses in there to destroy all of the work that we had accomplished. Now if we could just maintain it through the winter.
It was interesting being in there when the trees were without leaves and most of the plants were either dead or just starting to make their way to the surface. There was this incredible frozen waterfall coming out of what some people call "Not Imlay" Canyon. Quite an original name. I hiked only up to Orderville and then worked a little bit on a trail that I had not yet worked upon. I could not find much material to use so it didn't go that spectacularly. I saw a few other couples hiking through with their full dry suits. There were even an occasional fool trying to do it without a wet suit or a dry suit. They looked miserable. I left after working for a few hours glad that the work I had done had held and holding out hope that it would last through the summer time.

No comments: