Thursday, February 28, 2013

The Scogway

Well, my back to work in February days typically resumes with a trip out to the Southwest Desert. I had this idea for a project that would identify all the old campsites to find out in what shape they were currently in. So I followed my GPS and located all these places to discover that, well, they looked completely pristine. Being rather not interesting and probably rather inaccurate considering that the maps I was going off of were before the days of GPS, this little project really led basically nowhere. Kind of nice to know that though. But I did spice things up a bit with a trip up Scoggins Wash. Right where the Chinle trail crossed Scoggins Wash, I went up.
 Knowing that it looked rather interesting up there, but never having attempted to find out what was there, I was glad that I took the time on this day for a little exploring. It was pretty, but for the first part, it was much like any other open wash in Zion. Then it narrowed down and some obstacles presented themselves. I found some ways around them, some requiring a little bit of maneuvering within the wash up some rocks, some requiring some brush fighting through the trees. I was surprised to see water flowing in this usually dry canyon. There were even some icicles remaining in the cool February sun. Through my scrambling, I eventually made it to the top of the canyon where there was a pour-off that would have been an incredible waterfall had there been more water. Every time that one goes up these remarkable canyons, one hopes to find some formation that is unique. This one did not quite have it, but if it did, I was prepared to rename it the Scogway. I am not sure it would have caught on. Instead, I tried to get up above the waterfall by climbing up the side of the cliff. It was going fine until a few minutes in when I thought that this seemed rather pointless and unnecessarily difficult for something that probably isn't that interesting and I was on work time, so the relevance of this trip was slowly waning away. So I turned around and came back out the way I came. Not a gem, but everything is worth doing once.

No comments: