Sunday, March 17, 2013

Feeling Fairly Phallic

We awoke the next morning in the town of Escalante. There was nothing left to do but pack up our stuff, eat some breakfast, and head out on the road back home. We intended to hike on the way back home which can be a difficult task to do because sometimes you are just motivated to get home and have a day there.
But I was determined, so we stopped at Kodachrome Basin State Park. We paid the expensive entrance fee and then parked at a trailhead for the Panorama. Jacqueline took about ten steps with Conrad and decided that it was far too windy for him.
So I took off with Zyla and we decided to do the loop on our own. I would usually encourage Zyla to walk normally, but with the ticking clock of my wife sitting in the car with Conrad, I had to do this hike as fast as I could. The views were great and the rock formations were interesting. Kodachrome has a large collection of rocks that look strikingly like penises. They all had other names, though. I think I went the wrong direction by going clockwise, but my first stop was a viewpoint that I hauled us up to.
Zyla was such a cooperative hiker and at this point, old enough to hold a conversation with me as we moved along.
Then I kept going around the loop which seemed to run many different directions. I went to various different offshoots with names like the Hat Shop and Ballerina Spire. I think that being in Southern Utah, these needed specific names to get the other names dropped that would have come out. It was a fun hike and all in all it took us five miles roundtrip to complete the loop. Zyla was good the whole time and we made it back to tell Mommy about all the interesting things we had seen. 

No comments: