Thursday, March 28, 2013

Backpacking on the East Rim

Zion could not have been more popular. I was issuing permits nearly nonstop at the desk for all sorts of trips, but mainly backpacking. It was spring break and while the rest of the country remained cold and/or wet, we were experiencing comfortable weather and rather dry conditions. Everything was full and when I say everything, I mean everything. We have 5 popular backpacking areas and all of those hit their limits. So I had to go up for the night to see what all of the fuss was about. This was my second time backpacking on the East Rim and I knew I wanted to head out toward Deertrap.
 I left later in the afternoon on this trip intentionally hoping to run into a few more people in camp. I did run into some people exiting early, but not many in camp. I had to educate some college age guys about not camping right next to the trail. They were receptive. As I got farther on I found an amazing site overlooking the East side of the park. The views were fantastic as I approached dark. I put up my tent, made my dinner, and took a look over the edge. With the East Temple in clear view, I could see most of the area near the tunnel with the Pine Creek drainage right below me.
I wondered why people all wanted to be around the spring on the East Rim when their were so many better choices for campsites. I read a little before getting some early rest. In the morning, it was an AM hike out to the end of Deertrap, before packing up my stuff and heading down to Zion Canyon. It was a beautiful hike and camping spot that I always enjoyed having on a work day. 

No comments: