Sunday, July 25, 2010

When in Washington

We left Salt Lake and had our longest day of the whole trip. Zyla and her father were both getting grumpy by the time we pulled into Richland, WA. My cousin Lindsay lived out here so once we got settled in to the hotel and ordered some pizza, I gave her a call. She and her husband Bryson came over to see us and meet the baby. They were extra interested in the baby since Lindsay and Bryson were expecting a baby. We visited for a bit, then fit in some time for swimming. The next day we were driving again, this time across the state until we finally arrived in Port Angeles where my dad lived. We only had a couple of days here with Tom and then we were heading to my mom's house in Eatonville. We spent the first day going up to Hurricane Ridge. The ladies stayed behind, but the dads all went up to check it out. We did a short loop walk where we got followed by a deer. The mountains were still full of snow. I wish we could have done more with Tom while in Washington, but I figured this was at least good to hit some tourist spots. When we got back down, we rallied the crews to go out on the town. There was a sand castle carving competition, Dad and Laura wanted us to check out. It was all science fiction based. The most interesting part of Port Angeles was going out on the spit. Dad and I played battleship like when I was a kid and we even got Zyla's feet into the Strait of Juan de Fuca. It was a comfortable temperature out and it was good to be outside. We hung out there for a bit and then drove back to the house for some dinner and pickleball. The next day after visiting with Dad's friends Don and Val Martinson, we took off for Eatonville. We spent the evening hanging out with my mom, Carl, and the Wickanders who lived next door. The next day we had to get Tom to the other most popular National Park site in Washington; Paradise at Mount Rainier. I could not believe how busy and snowy it was. Jacqueline wore the baby on the hike today. We first checked out the visitor center and then hiked around on some of the paved trails until they got too snowy. Jacqueline and my mom bowed out while Tom and I continued hiking. We soon ran out of trail after a while and did not want to have to blaze too much of a trail, so we made a loop out of it and eventually ended up back at the visitor center. With still time to kill, I suggested that we head to Reflection Lake. This was a good pick as there is a great view of Mount Rainier from here. I held up the little one with the massive mountain in the background. We headed back to home which was only an hour away. That evening, Jacqueline and I drove Tom to the airport and he flew back to Michigan. We sure appreciated having him along on the trip. I think everyone felt like we could handle any interesting situations that could come up with the baby with another helping hand. We tried our best to show Tom the highlights of what beautiful Washington state had to offer. Jacqueline and I still had another couple weeks to chill before we had to go back to Colorado, though, so we were sure going to enjoy it.

1 comment:

Brian Hays said...

We need to climb Rainier sometime Pete.