Thursday, July 3, 2014

A couple of trips through Keyhole


My time at Zion was winding down. There were a lot of people around who always want to go through canyons, so I decided to take a few people through Keyhole. The first was Jacqueline's brother Paul. Paul is an adventurous person who spends a lot of his time snowboarding in the winter. He is not much into hiking because he has bad knees, but I offered to take him through Keyhole Canyon and he was up for it.
Keyhole is perfect because you can get through it in a few hours and still have time to do something else during the day. Paul did great getting through the canyon and took to rappelling pretty well. It is funny to me how simple it is to rappel but how nervous people get because of the danger of the big drop. Paul handled it really well. I even made sure to let him continue through the stinkhole at the end of Keyhole.
A few days later, I was taking Robert Heiser and Patrick Savory through. Patrick had done a few canyons with me in the past and Rob seemed to get out quite a bit. Rob was very grateful to me for taking him through the canyon, but he is always great company. He drove the shuttle buses in Zion and it was always good to see him stop by the desk to say hi. We had another fun trip through the Hole. It felt good to take people through canyons to give them an experience they could not have without my expertise. 

No comments: