Monday, October 7, 2013

Shutdown Hike

My mom had come out to visit to take care of the kids while we worked. Unfortunately, the government decided to shut down corresponding with her visit. This meant less time for her with just the kids and more time for her to see Jacqueline and I. One irritating thing about Zion being closed down was that not even I could go into the park. So that meant all the hiking in the park was off limits to us also even though we were park rangers. I needed to get out though because it was pretty irritating to have to sit at home and check CNN to find out what was going on.
So, mom and I went out to Eagle's Crags. I was expecting it to be busy up there because of the park being closed, so we got an early start. This was a good plan because there was no one at the trailhead when we started. The hike was good and predictable. Mom hiked well and we made it all the way to what I considered the end of the trail. Going down we started running into a lot of people who were hiking up. I even had to give some of my water to a couple that was concerned about running out of water.
 There were quite a few people on the trail who definitely would not have hiked this trail had the park been open. I considered that a positive because it broadened people's perspective about the area and what it had to offer. When we arrived back at the trailhead, it was sure busy. There were cars parked all over the place. I was glad that we got out and that I got to spend a little bit of quality time with my mom. 

No comments: