Sunday, May 8, 2011

Ketchump Trail

What makes someone stop just an hour from home to hike a trail that 99.99999% of the population does not know exists? The answer to that quesP5080167tion has to be something similar to George Mallory’s, “Because it’s there.” Truly, I have been seeing the Ketchump Trail show up on maps I have owned for 2 years living in Norwood. Knowing that this could very well be my last hiking trip near Norwood, I pulled over and parked just across the Dolores River in the town of Bedrock. I was not sure where the trail was as it was not hiked often, but after wandering through a century old cemetary into a wash, I located it above the wash. It was in pretty good shape. I knew from the road that it was going to go up quick, but I was not prepared for how well defined it would be. It was in good shape, very easy to follow. Along the way the view of Paradox Valley opened up more and more with each switchback. The view was very similar to the one I saw up on Nyswonger Mesa with a great view of the beautfiul valley. In a little over a half an hour, I had reached the mesa top and was able to look down and still locate the Xterra right below me. The trail wound around the edge of the Mesa. I decided that I would hike it until I ran into the road that the trail connected to. I did, even though there is always the urge to continue on the road. I knew it contiP5080170nued for many miles though, so there was no use trying to get somewhere else. I had only been hiking for forty-five minutes, but I turned around to enjoy the wonderful view for one more trip down. West-central Colorado had been a beautiful place to live in. I was happy for the experience and will have a warm place in my heart for the people and places I had a chance to interact with in Norwood in the 2 years we spent there.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It is in good shape because lots of local valley residents use it and deer and elk ect. Glad you liked it.