Saturday, May 7, 2011

Goblin Valley

JacquelinP5070127e and Zyla met me for the Mother’s Day weekend in Green River. They took the brunt of it having a 4.5 hour drive while I got a measly three hours. We stayed at the Comfort Inn Friday and Saturday night and were able to celebrate Mother’s Day as a family on Sunday. I figured this would be a good opportunity to go to a place that I had driven past many times on my way to Hite to visit my dad when he lived there, but I never actually took the turn. Goblin Valley which from Green RiP5070133ver was only about an hour’s trip. The weather was nearly perfect out when we arrived. It was a little hotter out than we had been experiencing, but we needed to warm up a little bit. The parking lot was nearly full at the viewpoint. We looked down and saw many people scrambling around on the rocks. This looked like a ten year olds dream when it came to Parks. Goblin Valley is a state park and people take sure advantage of the laid back policy about scrambling around on the rocks. There is virtually no vegetation to destroy as hundreds of hoodoos stick up to be scrambled around upon. We were not being very courageous as I had a small infant on my back. Zyla was good for the first bit, but she soon got hungry. Jacqueline fed her in the shade of a big rock as I scrambled around. We basically just spent our time wandering around as there was definitely no goal for this expedition. We were out for only a couple of hours, but felt like we had the experience and would only return again if Zyla was not with us and we could do one of the longer hikes or once Zyla gets older and can enjoy scrambling around on the rocks.

1 comment:

Angela said...

Pete, can I say that this is so cool that you put past outdoor accomplishments here? I loved reading about the stuff you did with B: Cirque lake, mt. Humphreys etc. You have an amazing memory and a knack for story telling.

BTW, Goblin Valley looks awesome!