Sunday, April 11, 2010

Back to Hovenweep

We enjoyed camping in Hovenweep so much that we went back. This time I was determined to hike the section of trail to the Holly ruins. So as soon as we got to our same campsite that we had last trip, I left Jacqueline and her belly to go for a hike. It was the same for the first half an hour and I actually was able to hike in a t-shirt which I had not been outside in for quite some time. I passed the point where Jacqueline and I had been before and the trail was similar. Desert landscape, first hiking up a wash, and then in a more open valley. Along the way there were some ruins with no water nearby. You could see how all the Anasazi ruins in the Southwest were just one big series of migratory farming camps. They could not have stayed in the same place year long because one area would not have produced enough food to feed many people. Continuing on the trail was rather flat so I was able to make excellent time. Eventually I reached the Holly ruins. These were much more massive than I originally thought that they were going to be. They were very similar to the Square Tower ruins, just without as many people. It always feels weird when the finish of a trail is another trailhead and a road. I could have continued on another 3 miles to the Hackberry Ruins, but I asked the first people I saw that day who were coming back from it if it was worth it. They said it was more of the same, so I took some pics and headed back to my pregnant wife. I made a quick detour to see some petroglyphs that were not very impressive as I had to stand on a rock overlooking them. I could have gone down closer, but did not want to break the rules. I saw a few folks on the way back including the couple that came back from Hackberry, who were going rather slow up the steep hike out. I used my ingenuity and created a new route climbing up the slickrock and popping out before them on the rocks leading to the campsite. Jacqueline had an adventure while I was away. She managed to lock her keys in the car, so had to get a ranger to get her out. That took up most of the time that I was away doing the ten mile hike. We played some cards and made an early dinner, then went for an evening hike around the Square Tower Group like we did last time. The pregnant lady did pretty good again and it was really good for us to get out. This time the weather stayed good for the drive back and we had nothing but a smooth enjoyable camping trip on the border of Utah and Colorado. I am sure that we will return to Hovenweep again to enjoy its comfortable, quiet setting.









No comments: