Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Oak Creek

I finally found a hike in Zion where nobody goes and it is probably for a reason. There was really nothing too exciting about Oak Creek. I followed the road that left from the maintenance area until I ran out of that. Then I followed the creek until it split. The drainage became ever more steeper until I finally ran out of room as big drop-offs prevented me from continuing further up the drainage. So I picked my way up the sandy slope. It was so hot out it was ridiculous, but I was able to make my way up to the base of the Altar of Sacrifice. That was rather neat and I could look off to my right and see a drainage that looked as if I could scramble up for a ways, but unfortunately it was so freaking hot that my water was running low. So I bailed and the slope was so sandy that I was actually able to run down it without any fear of losing my balance. I made it back into the drainage after fighting some brush and steep drop-offs, I was back in the drainage. The hike itself turned out to only be about 2.5 – 3 hours long, but it was nice to just go somewhere new, which was something that I had not got to do for some time in Zion.

No comments: