Sunday, August 24, 2008

Ashdown Gorge

Jacqueline was out of town at her friends, Melissa and E.J.’s wedding in Michigan. So I gave Eric a call and he and I went for a trip down Ashdown Gorge. I did not sleep well without my honey, so I was a bit beat for this trip. If it had not have been for the two hour drive from Zion, it would have been a piece of cake since it is all downhill. The scenery was just fantastic. The beginning of it was looking directly into Cedar Breaks. Then we went through some lush mountain meadows with scenic vistas in every direction. The trail went rather steeply down until we finally met up with a rather well flowing stream. We crossed this and stayed near it for a bit before traversing over and dropping into what was Ashdown Gorge. It was surprisingly sweet in there. It reminded me of the Narrows if the walls were only hundreds of feet high instead of thousands. The river was cool, but not cold and we crossed the creek a multitude of times. We were able to pick out the arch that was on the right side of the river. I was lucky enough to find a crystallized shell fossil, a rare find as I have never been particularly good at locating items like that. It was only a five hour hike before we were able to get to where our vehicle was parked on the lower section. That is where we saw our first people of the day, which was a couple that seemed to be in love and three other people that looked like they were on meth. An excellent hike, but the drive back was tough with only my few hours of sleep.

No comments: