Sunday, December 16, 2007

Snow Canyon

Neither Jacqueline or I had ever hiked in Snow Canyon before, so we thought that we would give it a shot. We were up bright and early before the Mormons were out of church, so we originally felt like we had the whole place to ourselves. We stopped first at the Lava Caves/White Rock Trailhead. We did not have a map so we just headed out on the trail. The first one ran right into some lava caves. We did not have a headlamp with us, so we did not make our attempt to go in. We continued on the trail, but it did not seem to go anywhere except down to a road. So we climbed up on some slickrock to hang out for a bit before continuing on another trail called the butterfly trail. We figured, that since it was December, we would not be seeing any butterflies on this trail, but we were mistaken. Jacqueline spotted one, probably near its last day of life since butterflies usually should not be out in December. Other than that, the butterfly trail did not have much to it until we ran into the road. So we decided to just head back to the truck leaving the White Rock trail to be done on another day. When I got back to my truck, I had a warning for me to pay my entrance fee. So I headed back up to the station and donated my $5 to Snow Canyon State Park. Next, we stopped at the Petrified Sand Dunes trail. I am not sure where it went, but since petrified sand dunes really just means rock, I figured we should just hike on the rock. Eventually, with some mediocre scrambling and bushwhacking, we ran into the Three Ponds trail. We took that one out to the Three Ponds. The trail was nothing more than an extremely sandy wash and the ponds were nothing more than potholes with seasonal run off stored within them. We snuck our way around the ponds to where we had the most scenic and interesting part of the day. There was some great slickrock walking with some excellent views. We ended our day about as far back as we felt like going. We probably could have kept scrambling from there, but since there was not much hidden, we called it a day right there. We headed back down to have our fun throwing rocks into the ponds. I snapped pictures of the ponds, but the pictures just looked like I took a picture of the rock. After giving Jacqueline a rock throwing lesson, we walked our way back until we ran into the Whiptail Trail, which we used to get back to our vehicle. The Whiptail is a paved trail which was not exciting but would be a nice short bike ride. We got back to our vehicle with about 3.5 hours of hiking under our belt. I would go back to Snow Canyon again, I would just gather some more info to see what are good off trail routes and how far those lava caves go.

No comments: