Friday, March 10, 2006

Zion's Unpredictable Spring Weather

My second week of work in Zion started with a different backcountry experience. Annette and I met up with Cheryl Decker who was in charge of Reveg at Zion. We were working on the exit from Spry. They had decided that the sandy slope that was the original exit for Spry was too much of an eyesore. Now people were supposed to go down the boulderfield which added a 100 ft, free hanging rappel to the trip. Our job on this day was to hike up the old exit and rehab it. We raked over anything that looked like a trail moving large dead trees and trying to block any easy access. The weather was hot and I did not wear any sunscreen. Thus I ended up with a sunburn at the end of the day. Just a few days later, though, Annette and I were hiking on the East rim in a torrential downpour. We were getting soaked. It was a nice hike, though. Ten miles mostly through the trees on the high plateau, but finishing on some slickrock meeting up with the Observation Point trail. Unfortunately I did not get any pictures because I was afraid of my camera getting soaked. Just a few days later, though, I had a couple of hours in the morning to hike, so I decided to hike the Chinle Trail. I could not find the trailhead, but I knew it was down a certain road, so I parked and walked the road until I ran into the trail. The snow had come down pretty good the night before, so it was a soggy trek. It made the cliffs around me so pretty, especially Kinesava. I continued to hike and the weather began to move in. Soon it was snowing, but it did not matter. At places the trail became harder to find, but the coolest thing about it was all the petrified wood everywhere. It weaved in and out of big drainages. All of them looked fun to come back to. This was supposedly the best time of year to come to this part of the park because of all the heat during the summer. I was not going to experience that because during the summer I was going to be working fees. I had to make my backcountry time worthwhile because there were going to be long days of collecting money. I was wondering what the summer would bring as I had met one attractive female near my age at the visitor center. So far I did not know much about her, though, but took every effort to go up and talk with her whenever she worked. The time to turn around was coming quickly as I had to run the desk the rest of the day. The snow was really dumping by the time that I turned around. The cliffs looked so amazing and I really enjoyed the Chinle and wanted to come back here again soon. But it was back to the desk for a bit before I got another chance to enjoy my time in Zion's backcountry.

No comments: