Wednesday, March 1, 2006

The Watchman

It was the end of my shift on my last day of work for the week, so Annette let me get off a little early and hike the Watchman trail. I was hoping that this trail would take me to the top of the actual Watchman that overlooked Zion Canyon, but instead it went to the top of a little bluff. The trail only took about half an hour to hike which included a little loop on top. The views were great from the edge of the loop, especially Zion Canyon. I could even see my house from the edge, rather clearly. I guess that is why they call it Watchman Housing. I noticed that the trail actually continued past this section that was open. I followed it for some time until it got really steep. There was excellent trail construction and I could see that it headed right to the cliff. I wondered if the Watchman trail ever used to be the actual Watchman trail going to the top of the Watchman. Talking to Julie Hancock and Ray O'neil later, I learned that it was another one of the crazy trails they built in the 20s, though on this one someone died who reportedly was the Superintendent's son, so they shut it down. Ray had actually climbed up where the old ladder rungs used to be back in his younger, more brazen days, but supposedly those had been washed out by a large flash flood later on. It made me curious and eventually I went back, but never found where this actually was. You know that you are in a good place when one short hike turns your interest to wonder what else is out there.









No comments: