Saturday, July 7, 2018

Back to the Narrows

We had a couple of leisurely days with the Meisters that included a trip to Costco, some pickleball, and an attempted trip to Quail Reservoir for some paddle boarding that quickly materialized into a chance to escape a passing thunderstorm. We got ourselves all ready and then it rolled and we rolled out. The next day we were trying our luck with the Narrows. We made all our plans and were able to get up early. We made it out of the house before 6 AM with a bunch of kids which was an accomplishment in itself. We drove the hour up to Zion and were able to find a parking place. Then it was time to get on the shuttle. We walked over to do that and the line was enormous.
I knew it was going to be bad because this was 4th of July weekend, but still waiting in line an hour to take a shuttle is crazy. We saw a bunch of park people that we knew just waiting in line. I was glad that we were doing this with the Meisters so that they had a good perspective as to why we decided to stop being park rangers. I was also glad that they gave me a good excuse to do this as it was good to experience it and realize why I don't spend a lot of time there outside of the fall, winter, and spring. Eventually by about 8 AM we made it on the shuttle and it took us up to the Temple of Sinawava. The crowds on the trail were not nearly as bad as I thought they would be because the shuttles limited them to only the people who could get on the bus.
The hike up the Riverside Walk was easy enough and the kids were not complaining yet. They enjoyed the massive amounts of squirrels everywhere but were hesitant of them after the signs that show them biting people. That was good because these squirrels were living the good life, fat and lazy spread out on the trail in some cases. When we got to the water, the kids took to walking in the water right away. This was such a great hike because it is so hot in Southern Utah. We had all been melting. In the Narrows, right away we were cool and comfortable. The water was crazy low being only about 25 cfs. That was perfect for the kids as it never got above my knees, so even Conrad never got above his waist. Will chose to jump in even though it was slightly chilly. We got a lot of miles out of them and I was most impressed with Conrad. Even with his 5 year old legs, he was trying his best to lead the whole pack.
I was really anxious to see how all my social trail work had done over the past 4 years. Fortunately, I felt that it had done pretty well. Some places that I had blocked had completely returned to their natural state and people were using the paths that I had created. Some of the signs needed some TLC and I did relocate a few. All and all I felt like I actually accomplished something in the years of work I put into the Narrows.
There were so many photographs taken on this hike that making quick progress was not really in the cards. Still, we slowly plodded away until the entire crew made it up to Orderville Canyon. We went a short ways up Orderville to check it out and also sat down to have some lunch. I got the opportunity to get upset with another hiker for putting graffiti on the rock, so that made me feel good. We were all impressed at how well the kids were doing and I really think that everyone was enjoying the hike. The biggest complaint was that some people were cold, which in July in Southern Utah was a luxury.
The trip back down was going to be quicker because we knew the kids would move faster downstream than up. Even with only 25 cfs, it still makes an impact going with the current than against. Conrad was leading the whole pack, though, at many of the crossings I would still hold his hand so he felt more stable. At some point on the way down, Conrad decided he had to go to the bathroom. I decided to just take off with him and try to make it to the toilets at Temple of Sinawava. There was no way that I was going to find a way for him to use the bathroom in the Narrows as now that afternoon was here, the amount of people in the Narrows was truly staggering. We got ahead of the rest of the group and he was really impressive. I could really push Conrad hard and it did not bother him to walk faster.
Near Mystery Falls, I had to stop to take the "oh my gosh, look at how many people are in this picture" shot. It was overwhelming and not enjoyable at many times. I think my mental state was important, though because I was prepared for this. Everyone enjoyed themselves. I got to yell at one more group for feeding squirrels. Conrad made the bathroom which who knows how much human waste went through that thing every day. Eventually the rest of the group made it back and we were able to take a shuttle back. The hike went really well and I was very pleased that we were able to show our friends this amazing place. All the kids were worn out that night which I guess is an accomplishment of a goal.

No comments: