Friday, September 12, 2014

The Coast


Okay, so this was not a hike or anything ambitious. It was just a day where I needed to get away and have some rest and relaxation. The last two weeks of my life had been so hard and exhausting. Starting a new job, having new students, and trying to establish yourself in a school can be so challenging. I worked through my last weekend, so finally on a Friday, I decided that I needed a break. We jumped in the car and drove out to Florence. The drive out there was good though the road was winding and there was lots of traffic.
 Florence was about 2 hours away from where we were living. When we got there, we found a place to eat first and then the closest beach we had access to. We hopped out of the car got down to the beach and boy was it great. Just to hear the ocean and see the surf was wonderful. The kids enjoyed a little sand castle building while I enjoyed a little R&R. I really did not move too much and just enjoyed the waves, the view, and the kids. It was strange to me just how quiet it was out here, but I guess if you have hundreds of miles of beach access, a little quiet can be had.
It was just what I needed. As we left though, we got stuck in a long traffic jam. We ended up sitting there for an hour only to see someone get life flighted out of there. The traffic was horrendous the rest of the way back as everyone was going to Eugene. When I got into Eugene, it was not much better. I was in an unfamiliar city trying to find my way to the right exit in a busy part of town. I looked down to check the GPS briefly and then back up to the signs and before I knew it I was going too fast into a small truck right in front of me.
 I hit it at a slow rate of speed, but quick enough to mess up our hood. The truck was fine and they left without a scratch. We called our insurance company and a tow truck came. In the process of waiting, we saw possibly the creepiest people I have ever seen. They were definitely strung out on something. The tow truck was able to give us a ride to a car rental place where we were able to get a rental for the week while our hood was repaired.
All of this was of course very stressful and embarrassing. We took our new rental car and had dinner at Applebees of all places. I don't like Applebees but it was just what we needed tonight. Quick decent food and a place to just sit and relax. We found our way out of Eugene after that and back home. The car was fixed by the next weekend when we were able to pick it up. So much for the rest and relaxation, but the Oregon Coast was definitely high on my list for places that are awesome!

No comments: