Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Back to Progeny Peak

 Kelsey was supposed to have the hiking day today and I was supposed to spend my day at the Wilderness Desk. She came in with a sore foot, so she offered to switch with me. I was 100% for that because it meant that I got to get out in the field rather than the desk. She was assigned to go up Progeny Peak to check on the graffiti that I removed in the fall. So instead, I did it. I was happy to do it because it was such an excellent hike.
I had to go in my desk clothes which meant the ugly cargo shorts and the thicker shirt. Since it was already hot outside, there was going to be some sweating going on. This time I decided to go past the Two Pines Arch. I am surprised that this is not a more visited spot because it can be seen from the road, but I guess not everyone had their eyes open. After that I found a much easier way to get up to Progeny Peak from there. It seemed so much easier than the last time as there was never a point that was exposed, slick, or dangerous in any way.
 Up on top, the graffiti was all gone and the view was spectacular. I made sure to make a reply to Greg in the log book up top. I got a few pictures of the view and then went back down. I saw one group of people hiking randomly around on my way down, but no one else. I was surprised to see them out there honestly. I had no issues coming down, so I made it back in time to get back to the desk and return some phone calls. Still a good surprise for a day out in the park. 

No comments: