Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Leap Day

 Back to work again! It had been a great winter of traveling and hanging out with little Zyla. But now it was time to get paid money for hiking. On this day, which just so happened to be Leap Day, I was scheduled to hike in the Southwest Desert. This area is fantastic in the winter time. There was still wisps of snow on the peaks above, but where I was the trail was mostly dry.
I checked campsites and talked to hikers and backpackers. Everyone I met was really fun and excited to be there. I love this time of year because people do not feel the pressures of all the other people. The Southwest Desert is really interesting for its petrified wood. I found a piece of petrified wood near campsite number 2 that was really interesting. It was a piece of a branch.You could still see the rings from the tree on each branch. There were three separate branches coming off of this one slightly larger than fist sized petrified wood. If I was a stealing person, I would have taken it home so that I could appreciate and no one else could. Instead, I left it for someone else. I hope that next person that finds it leaves it for the next person also.
The views were just fantastic on this day and the trail was very nice to hike. Quiet and it was nice to meet the people that I did. It made me excited for another season of hiking the trails of Zion. 

No comments: