Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Laguna Sucia

We awoke in the morning to the weather beginning to clear. We were up early and I am sure that we woke some people up considering that there were many tents packed in such a tight area. We were quick, though, so I am sure that people were able to get back to sleep.
 Our hike on this day was not considerably long with not much elevation gain. We would start back down the trail that took us up to Laguna Torre and turn at the junction. This would take us by Laguna Hija and Laguna Madre. Both were lakes of a considerably large size with views to the high peaks and glaciers beginning to open up. The hike was basically around one lake then around the other lake where we would meet up with the trail that would take us to Campamento Poincenot.
This was the most popular of the campsites because it was below Monte Fitzroy. We were not getting great views of Fitzroy yet as the clouds were still hiding the top of it. We did have a good view of the many other tents, somewhere near 100 that were in this camping area. It had an Everest Base Camp feel with a lot fewer individuals. We set up right on the corner of the campground, so that no one was behind us. It was more in the sun, so others did not like this site as much, but I was sure that people would be camping right on top of us when it was all over. As we went into the woods, this was the worst of all with human waste. Every single tree had human waste and toilet paper behind it. A bit disgusting for my taste.
Dad's goal was to take it easy for the rest of the afternoon. I was going to do a day hike out to Laguna Sucia, which was a glacial lake below Monte Fitzroy. There was no trail to this lake, but on some old maps, there used to be. They probably took it off newer maps so that it would get less traffic. All I needed though was a map and knowing that it was possible to get there. The way did have a use trail for some of the way until it gave way to just the alluvial plain. Here I had large glacial boulders to maneuver around and a strong flowing stream. I thought about figuring out a way to keep my feet dry, but eventually I just gave in and obtained wet feet. There was only one place that I had to get around an obstacle by climbing around, but it proved to not be too incredibly challenging. Soon I was popping out at lake level to get a fantastic view of this beautiful blue lake with waterfalls coming down from the glaciers below Monte Fitz Roy.
I spent some time there just soaking it all in. It was great to be here because every other amazing spot, I felt like I had to share it with someone, but this place I had all to myself. I saw one group going down on my way up and would see a couple of groups going up on my way back, but for now this sight was just for me. I really enjoyed watching the waterfalls pour down into the Lake from high above. You could really see geology at work as this cirque lake was being fed by waterfalls from the hanging valley above. It was just an awesome spectacle.
 As I returned for the evening, I spent the rest of the evening just hanging around camp playing cribbage and reading books. With my wet shoes, I had to use my thick socks as shoes which Dad referred to as my camp socks. As the evening wore on, more and more of Monte Fitzroy began to open up. By the time dusk came upon us, which if you will remember was around 10pm, just the very top was holding the clouds. I could not quite yet grasp the sheer vertical nature of this rock, but I could tell that one would need some major rock climbing skills to be able to reach its summit. We were going to have a couple days at Poincenot to enjoy this, so unlike Cerro Torre, we would not allow ourselves to miss this amazing mountain.



No comments: