Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Upper Cascade Falls

Wanting to take Zyla on a hike turned to waiting to take Zyla on a hike. We put her in the Baby Bjorn and frankly, she still needed to wait. She was far too tiny for it. We wondered if she would be big enough ever and if Jacqueline would be able to get her in it so that she could get out too. We ordered a wrap to see if that could work. So instead, I went off for a hike on my own. I wanted to get up to Ouray and do a hike up there. So I chose the hike to Cheif Ouray Mine. I got on the trail pretty early and parked right on the streets of Ouray. The trail climbed steeply right away and soon I was crossing the road and hitting the switchbacks. The view was great and you could see the tops of the peaks with snow still on them. I was making good time and really hauling away trying to do this trip as quick as possible. I only saw one person on the trail going up and they were only on the lower part. So I felt like I had the trail to myself. The switchbacks became so steep near the top. It was definitely a place to not push my speed because I did not want to get in a somersault and end up back down in Ouray that I could see over a 1000 feet below me. The switchbacks gave way to a flatter trail that curved around and took me toward the mine. I could hear the water and then I could see the Upper Cascade Falls. It was a good waterfall or two and I could also see the mine across the falls on the other side. I looked at the crossing and decided that it probably was not a good idea to cross it since I was alone and the river was moving pretty good. A misstep would mean that I would end up going off the falls and I was definitely not in the mood for that. It was a beautiful day and I turned around from there. The trip back down was so quick as the total hike was only about 6.5 miles. It was only an hour to get back to the car. I was home to help with the baby just a bit after noon. It was nice to have a close hike but it was quite a bit of a drive for a short hike. I felt like I could have made the mine, but it honestly was not much of a disappointment. Colorado is packed full of old mines and I am sure that I would have some old mines to visit in my future.

No comments: