Saturday, August 8, 2009

Russell Gulch

Well, it came upon quickly, but this was now my last day of work. Amazingly, though, I was doing something new even though this was the last day. I talked Kelsey into going through Russell Gulch which she had done recently with Brad. She was not insanely psyched about it, but I could not do Das Boot - Subway for the third time this summer. The Russell Gulch entrance to the subway is a very similar route except for when you have the chance you enter the drainage instead of staying high. Tim and Matt were along for the trip. I knew we were going to have a good time. When we got away from the Subway drainage, it was actually quite a long walk before we got to any of the rappels. I enjoyed the canyon is it went from narrow to open throughout. It was definitely dry and was mostly a sandy wash. When we got to the first rappel, it was actually a long one, but the shortest one in the canyon. It was funny that it made me nervous even on this last day going through a new canyon. This one was an awkward start, but an easy drop into a pothole and then another little drop after that. We all did it with ease. Then we got to do the longest rappel. This one was awesome. Just a nearly vertical wall with an easy start. It was about a 75 footer with just pure easy going vertical. We ended it down on a sandy bottom. So sweet! Last one we got to ended free hanging. I went last and just loved it. Everyone else did the hanging the pack thing. I was not about to switch it up, but I had no problem. The only thing I have ever hung the pack for was Englestead and I was not about to do it for Russell Gulch. The rappel was great and we finished with a sandy bottom to land in. The rest of the canyon was not long and ended with a hike around into the traditional Subway entrance. Now it was one last paid trip through the Subway. Already harnessed up and ready to go it was an easy trip. Swimming, short rappels, and beauty and we were taking off the harnesses ready to finish the 4 miles out. Of course on the trip out I got to deal with a no permit jerk who would not respond to me and tried to outhike us out of the canyon. We called out the LE on the radio though so he had his day. It was just unfortunate that we had to deal with that. I am so sick of people just doing things they are not supposed to out in the backcountry. Respect it and follow the rules that everyone else has to follow. Well it was a bad way to end such a great day. I had a good time spending it with Tim, Kelsey, and Matt. They were all quality bc rangers, even if Tim was an interp ranger. The day was sadly done and so was a fun trip and backcountry season. I wondered if I would be back in a Park Service uniform again. I wouldn't doubt it.

No comments: