Sunday, April 26, 2009

River Rescue in the Narrows

Second week back at work and I already got to go on my first big rescue. It was going to be my Friday and I had a hiking day, so I was happy to go. A few years ago, the Narrows was left pretty much alone during the high water times. There were a few hearty souls who would challenge the perilous waters during April and early May to run the river. Then, of course, someone published a guide book and the popularity took off. The message from the book was that it was a fun enjoyable ride without too many difficulties. The information from others soon became that this was not true. Anyway, there were three parties in the Narrows. One we knew to be an individual whose group had come out before him and left him in there. The other we learned when we arrived early in the morning had not come out the previous day. So my job was to help bring the boats that the boaters would use to the Deep Creek junction. Unfortuately on this rescue, my company was unfamiliar. It made for a rather odd day for me. Here I was the experienced person with this area, but the attitudes around me frustrated me. Dan was a brand new law enforcement ranger with a high opinion of himself and his position. He talked down to me like he was more important because he carried a gun. Ugh! Everyone, actually, had this unrelaxed attitude. That was frustrating for me and it made me uncomfortable in a place I knew so well. We drove all the way to the end of the road at Chamberlain's Ranch, past the point where we were supposed to park. I knew that was bad news, but no one wanted to listen to me on that one. It turned out to be a very good idea because hauling those boats was a pain in the ass. Logan and Don Sharlow drug their boats through the slow flowing North Fork, while Dan, Annie, and I switched off carrying the inflatable boats. The water was cool and the air was cold. I was the only one wearing shorts and it was not too bad, but the snow next to the water made it feel much colder. There were times when it was hard because of lots of mud. There had to be a balance between how much time we stayed in the water and how much time was on the muddy shore. Still, it was a beautiful spot to work and it was rather fun to go into the Narrows at a time when it was closed to hiking. What we learned with this trip was that it was the hike that really slowed every group down. It wasn't until 2:00pm when we finally got to the Deep Creek junction. I was happy to be there. When we got there, I started talking to Cody who was flying over us in a helicopter. It turned out that the one guy and the group that did not make it out the night before, had made it out in the morning. They reported another kayak floating in the river and another hanging from a rope on the wall. So this added the other group to the mix and all the boaters got ready to go. I got to carry all of their extra junk out including Logan's wet jeans that he had been hiking in. Awesome! The hike out took half as long and the company was much better once we broke the ice of not knowing one another as I hiked out with Annie and Carla from trails. I was glad that we were able to make good times as I was nervous that we would not make it out before dark. It was fun to see the beginning of the Narrows from the opposite direction and enjoy the waterfall and high cliffs. I let Carla drive back as we pulled in close to 9pm at the EOC. I was off to Norwood, Colorado the next day to interview for a teaching job. I hoped I would have the energy because that was a tough day. The rescue ended with the helicopter finding the boaters high on the cliffs where they were able to short haul them out. The thought of trying to escape the Narrows and get out, rather foolish. The whole boating expedition proved to be of no help, but you never know when you begin the day.

No comments: