Monday, March 24, 2008

Spring Skiing with the Winter Family

Jacqueline's parents flew out to Vegas than drove up to Springdale from Michigan for Easter Weekend. Like good church going folk, we headed up to the mountains around Salt Lake City to get some skiing in. There were lots of other Easter holiday observers in the mountains around Salt Lake City. On Sunday, we went to Snowbird, where Jacqueline's brother Paul works as a waiter at the Steak Pit. He got us mostly free lift tickets, as we had to pay for part of one or two of the lift tickets. Snowbird is not a beginner's mountain and unfortunately I would still consider myself a beginner. The rest of the crew being Paul, Jacqueline, and their dad Tom are all experienced skiers. Paul spends most of his time snowboarding, but he was trying to ski on this day. The mountain was rather packed and all the runs were really steep. We started with Big Emma and I liked that one because it was the only green that I could get to that actually had somewhat of a long run. Then we went to the other side of the mountain through the only ski tunnel blasted out of the mountainside. I was not particularly happy as there was insane steep drops all around as I skied down a cat track. I was about ready to go sit in the lodge and wait it out until finally I was able to ski one of the greens on that side. The rest of the crew came with me for many of the runs. I apologized for my whining as I was nervous for most of the day, but I could finally relax and enjoy skiing. They went off and skied some blacks while I stayed on my steep green. We finished the day with a ride down the tram, which was me taking the wussy way out since I did not want to ski the blues all the way from the top of the mountain. I was so incredibly sore from turning ten times every twenty feet that night. We had a great dinner at the Steak Pit with all Jacqueline's family. (Paul was our server) We got to check out the porcupine that they feed every night and he was sure loving the crowd around checking him out. The next day we did the same thing, but instead of Snowbird, we went up to Alta. This time it was just Jacqueline, Tom, and I. After a few frustrating moments trying to go uphill, I spent the rest of the day really enjoying myself. We got to try some longer runs because I dropped a bit of the wussiness and went on some blues. By the end of the day, I was feeling good enough to take some blues that did not even say the easier way. It was a lot of fun and a great way to spend my birthday. I was glad that the people around me were patient with me, because I was a pain thinking I could drop off the slope at any time. By the end of Monday, though, I was excited to go up skiing again sometime soon.

2 comments:

Brian Hays said...

Dang I'm jealous. Yup, sounds like a pretty good easter service.

Anonymous said...

Good job working your way up to the blues :)

Amber