Monday, November 19, 2007

Cornville

Jacqueline and I went to visit some folks this weekend. We stayed at Jacqueline's Aunt Kris' house near Cornville, Arizona, which is near Sedona. My best friend from the GC days, Steve Klunk, came up to visit also. Steve and I are really looking a bit older then the days when we used to hang out in high school. So here is how the weekend went. Jacqueline and I left Toquerville at 9:00 am for a drive through the famed polygamous town of Colorado City. It was not that exciting, but some Navajo flag man did tell us that there was gold in them hills above Toquerville. Good information that we would not use, instead we went to go look at some of his possible ancient ancestors houses in Wupatki National Monument outside of Flagstaff. It was rather neat. If you've seen one ruin, you've seen 'em all, but in no way does that mean that there is not a reason to go see 'em all. We skipped the actual Wupatki house considering it was right next to the visitor center where they would make us pay. Forget that. We went to all the other ones which were just short hikes. Then we continued the loop on the road, which lead us to Sunset Crater. There we did a trail called the Long Trail. If you consider one mile long than it was your lucky day. For us, it was about all that we had time for. It was nice to walk around the ancient volcano, but I was mad to see that they had barred the entrance to a natural lava tube cave. Oh well, we did not have time for it anyway, but what kind of National Park site does that? Our next stop was to go through Flag and then another hour put us at Jacqueline's aunt's house. We had an excellent dinner at the Tavern Grille and then slept on the floor. The next day we headed up to Sedona to do a hike. We intended to do a different hike, but I was not in the mood for dirt road driving, so we choose the Long Canyon Trail. It was nice, reminded me of Taylor Creek. We were on the trail for 'bout an hour and a half each way. Sedona is not much when you compare it to Zion, but it does have a lot of trails to explore at some point in time. Jacqueline enjoyed the area and I was even able to talk her into possibly moving down to this part of Arizona some day. It really still feels like home to me. Then we were back at the house for a visit from Steven. It was great to see him. I have not seen Steve since last April, but boy we just picked up where we left off. At dinner, we were all laughing and having a good time. It makes me really appreciate my good friends that are out there and family also, as having a fiance doubles my family size as staying with Kris was wonderful. We played three handed Euchre and the evening. Having won the last game makes me reigning champion until the next visit. The following day we watched some football and went our separate directions back to our homes. I definitely look forward to one of my home states, good ol' AZ.

1 comment:

jess said...

looks like good times! i hope you guys had a great thanksgiving!