Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Lower Right Fork

Having been scheduled earlier to hike up Right Fork, but having it canceled by the fires, now that the backcountry was reopened, I gave it a try. I had plenty of time on this day and I wanted to make it up the canyon as far as possible. I headed off fairly quickly and it was interesting to see the kind of damage that the fire had left from last year. The Right Fork took a brutal hit as the first hour was mainly in a charred wasteland. The horseflys were also a bit irritating, but slow, as I spent my time getting both bitten and mass murdering them afterward. The route took me in and out of the creek. I was there to check for people and cows, but none of those seemed to be around. The water was not particularly high, so I was able to keep my feet dry for quite some time. Always curious, though, I wanted to see what was in some of the side canyons that entered into Right Fork. I knew that a work day was not the time for that sort of exploration, so I continued straight up the drainage. Finally, about two hours into my hike, I got to a spot where I finally had no choice but to get my feet wet. I went on through the water and from there on up, the way was tricky but easy now that I did not care to keep my feet dry. It wasn't but another hour until I reached Double Falls. I forgot from last year's sojourn through Right Fork from the top, that Barrier Falls was the end. For some strange reason, I had it in my head that Double Falls was actually called Double Barrier Falls. I should have figured it out when the way to the right seemed rather smooth. I decided to lunch and take a dip, both of which were refreshing in the constant summer heat. When I got back to hiking, I realized that I had some time to kill, so I figured, what could it hurt to explore on of the side canyons. It was a great idea as I picked the side canyon right before the first place I had to get my feet wet. It had a rather good flow of water coming in, so I figured it might be something worth exploring. I was not disappointed. Very narrow, with some deep potholes and some interesting narrows to negotiate around. I finally got to a spot where I would go up with another person on my days off, but on work time, it did not seem prudent. So I headed back down the same way I came. When I got near the trailhead, I realized I still had some time to kill, so I headed up the Left Fork a ways until I found what I thought to be the Grapevine Trail. I took that, having never taken that small trail before. It lead up through the same hot volcanic rock that the Right Fork Trail goes through to its trailhead. The view was excellent from that trail and a little cross country got me back to my vehicle about the time I was supposed to get off of work.

No comments: