Sunday, August 20, 2006

North Rim

Jacqueline never met my dad before and he was going to spend the weekend at Grand Canyon, so we thought that we might shoot over there for a fun filled weekend. It is only a 2.5 hour drive from Zion, so it definitely gave us something to do. We left as soon as I got off of work. My dad was giving a slide show presentation at the community center on his trips to Tibet and Nepal. I saw most of those before, but for some reason for the most part they always look new. That was kind of fun, although it was strange being around everybody because we did not know anyone there other than my dad, Laura, Carol, Penny, and Laura's mother. Once it was over, we went off and hung out by ourselves until they got back. We slept to wake up for another day with hopefully a little hike in the park.
The next day, my dad came with us and we went for a short hike on the North Kaibab Trail. We only went down the first mile and a half because my dad had to go over to the lodge to participate in the Western Days that they were putting on with poetry and music.
The trail was good and very crowded as usual. Not much of a hike for the two of us though as we sprinted the last couple of feet to the top. We did another short rim trail hike a couple of times as we went off to the Western Days ourselves. We had an excellent dinner at the Lodge provided by my dad and saw a concert. The weekend went by way too fast and while I wished that we could have done more, I understood the time constraints involved.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The chosen hike was just long enough to prove that Miss Jackie could also kick the old man's butt on a Canyon trail!
- The Old Man