Saturday, August 9, 2014

Horsepasture Mountain

 Still trying to figure out the new country that was surrounding me, I rode in Carl's truck up into the mountains again. We took a forest service road that seemed to climb for a long time. As we took a turn around the corner, we were rewarded with a view of the Sisters that was shrouded by the smoke that seemed to permeate up through the forest. It had been a hot, dry summer in Oregon and now the area was paying for it with wildfires. The area we were going to did not have any issues, though, and soon we were at the trailhead ready for the hike. Carl decided to sit this one out and he spent his time eating some berries and wandering around a bit on the Olallie trail that connected with the trail that I was going to take up to Horsepasture Mountain.
The hike started out pretty gradual, but I made sure I really put a lot into it because I did not want Carl to have to wait for too long. There were a few other folks on the trail and it was nice to chat with them as they went by. The trail spent most of the time in the forest, but toward the end it popped out into some nice meadows with many switchbacks. I zigzagged up until it ended with the one last switchback where you could see the top right at the end of a long semi steep meadow. I could see why it was called Horsepasture Mountain given the large meadow that would have been right near the top. The horses of the old timer Forest Service workers could have grazed while someone went up to the fire lookout.
 The fire lookout, though, was no more as it was one of the many casualties of the helicopter. In the 1950's, it would have been efficient to man these hundreds of lookouts across Washington and Oregon, but now we have the ability to watch the fires from the air so much easier. It was a good view from up on top, but once again the smoke really hid the majestic mountains which beckoned me to come climb them.
On this day, though, it was just a minor peak with a short trail, but I sure was enjoying the area. I quickly made my way back down and looked forward to all the opportunities that Oregon had to offer me.



No comments: