Saturday, November 26, 2011

Checkerboard Mesa

My first memory of Zion National Park is going there as a kid of about 11 years old during a spring trip. When you drive in from the east side, first major landmark that you get to is Checkerboard Mesa. I snapped a photograph there with my dad and mom with a camera I had just recently obtained for Christmas. Because of that, Checkerboard Mesa stuck in my mind as the most prominent of all the landmarks in Zion that I could remember from my visit there as a kid. I thought it suiting to give the ol' boy a visit and actually scramble to the top of the mesa. I had known for years that this route existed, but had not taken the effort to actually undertake it. 
So I got a fairly leisurely start on this fair November day. The park was just swamped since it was the Saturday of Thanksgiving weekend. Luckily, this trailhead was nice and quiet given that all the people here were doing what I set out to do as a kid and take that picture of Checkerboard Mesa. The route up is to the east of the peak through a very forested area. I was surprised to see a fairly well defined use trail with much erosion taking place. It was easy to follow and with just hard work and effort, I was able to make the saddle between Checkerboard and the hidden east side slickrock beyond it. From there, the trail sort of disappeared making me think that this route was being used as an entrance into Fat Man's misery instead of the route to the west of Checkerboard Mesa. 
A quick scamper got me on top of Checkerboard Mesa. Technically at this point, I had reached my goal and could turn around if I so chose. But, I had to get some kind of view so I braved the thick scrub oak that surrounded the top of the mesa. It wasn't too long before I got myself in a thick bunch of scrub oak, eventually having to turn around and backtrack because the way was blocked so severely. It was on my way out to find a new option around, that I managed to whack myself directly in the open eye with a branch. It was so painful and I thought after a minute it might get better, but my eye just continued to throb and to water. I could barely keep it open and found it much easier to move if I didn't, though I needed some depth perception to make sure I didn't make an error in judgment on where I put my feet. 
Eventually I found my way out to the edge and an excellent viewpoint of Clear Creek canyon and down into Zion. It would have been a great view to sit and enjoy, but sun made my eye ache more and more. So I took some snapshots of the views and of my squinty self, then started back. This time I found an easier way through the oak, but the eye was hurting more and more, so much that I found myself having to stop just to close my eyes for a few minutes to keep the pain away. I was lucky there was a strong social trail in that area or else I would have had a hard time route finding through that forested area.
When I got back to the car, it was getting bad. I was excited because my sunglasses were there and I could use them to keep the light from really hurting my eye. When I opened, the case, I saw that they were broken. Oh no! I put them on anyway and tried to tough my way through the drive that was a half an hour through windy roads. I would scream out in pain to keep my eye open. The most difficult section was through the tunnel. I literally hyperventilated to keep my eyes open because the pain was so severe. I luckily made it home without injuring myself, my car, or anyone else with my car. I spent the rest of that day and the next dealing with extreme pain in my eye. I guess this should be a lesson to wear sunglasses, but I truly enjoyed that summit and the short hike it took to gain it. I hope to go back again and maybe enjoy the view the next time around. 





No comments: