Friday, July 22, 2011

Overnightin' in the Narrows

Occasionally, I get to stay in the backcountry for work. This rare event was occurring and I was going to be spending the night in the Narrows. The Zion Narrows is one of the most unique places on earth. There are other similar places, but nothing with as amazing of vertical walls with a swift flowing river from wall to wall. I always appreciate my overnight trips in the Narrows and would not even really want to do it as a day hike all the way through because staying in there is half the adventure. This trip would be alone which was fine with me. I left the trailhead around 11am after Andie dropped me off. I talked with some folks there and I knew it was going to be interesting because it was a full house. The first part of the hike, I was able to stay dry out of the water. I was making really good time. Having done this many times before actually helped out because I could just move. I ran into some people and I was very pleased because everyone I met so far was enjoyable company. I made it to my campsite which was up in Deep Creek. I had to take an admin campsite since all the other sites were taken. I set up my camp and went down to filter some water. After about half an hour, I gave up on the water filter. Someone had taken it apart and now it was not working. I decided to go check on the condition of the campsites. I was surprised when getting to them that there were not people in camp yet. I questioned whether the Narrows was truly going to fill up. I only found one campfire (bad!) as I hiked all the way down to campsite #9. On the way back up, I began seeing lots of people. I talked to many of them and there were many fun and interesting people. I got to my campsite at about 7pm, made myself some dinner, read a book, and then got some extra rest. I awoke early in the morning. I wanted to get going to see the people in camp. The river was very cold! I was chilly most of the morning. The people in camp were very pleasant. The only interesting ones were the group from site #12. They got into camp rather late after following a trail way up the side of the cliffs from site #11. They were in good spirits about it and even helped me disperse the campfire that someone had left in there site. Why do people need to build a campfire in the desert? Just doesn't make sense to me. Past Big Spring, it was slow going. The river was deep and cold. There were a couple of spots of chest deep water to wade through. It was definitely taking me longer than typical this winter. I got to seeing a couple of folks, then a couple more, until finally it was full on busy. It made it slower going as I had to answer lots of questions. In all, it took me six hours to get out, which was a lot longer than normal. In 2011, the typical 12 hours was a rather accurate prediction.

No comments: