Thursday, August 5, 2010

Marmot Lake

Gettin' going has its perks as we caught a bear on its breakfast run as we were on the trail up to O'neil Pass. He was not a big bear and also did not look much like a scary bear as we crossed the trail below him. Today the trail was full of patchy snow with still beautiful views to be had. It would take us over across one high drainage and then another all the time hitting the patchy snow in the middle. We had talked about taking the short cut route into Lake Lacrosse that would bring us over to Marmot Lake, but with the snow as plentiful as it was, I would imagine that it would not be a short cut. So we followed the trail and ran into a group below the pass. They told us that there was plentiful snow on the other side of the pass also. We hit O'neil Pass at lunch time and ran into the exact same group that we saw at Lacrosse Pass. We took their picture up there and I swear we asked them to take ours, but their seems to be no record of that picture remaining. So we found ourselves a dry spot and ate some lunch. Those bagel sandwiches were tasting real good at this point in the trip as the packs started to get lighter, but our reserves started to deplete also. From the pass it was a short drop into Marmot Lake where we freed ourselves from the snow. We were the first ones there, so had our pick of the campsites. We both were a little bit choosy, but finally decided on one with an excellent view. We set up the tent, relaxed for a bit, and then took our one and only side trip hike of the trip. There were two lakes above Marmot Lake and I was bound and determined to see both. It was so much easier hiking without those heavy packs on that going uphill really did not seem like as much work. At the junction, Dad decided to go to Hart Lake and I would go to Lake Lacrosse, but meet him at Hart Lake. I tried to hike as fast as I could so that he did not have to wait long. The trail was intermittently hidden by snow, but I picked the best route I could because I could see the lake from far away. When I got there, I could not cross over to the lake because of the large stream in the way. So I went to one side and called it good. I could see the pack of the Irish guy that we kept running into. He said that he was going to camp up there. I hustled down the trail to Hart Lake. It was a longer hike then I was expecting as the trail took us up around the sides of the cliffs. When I got there, I saw the lake was much like Lake Lacrosse, more ice and snow then actual water showing. Dad was sitting high on a knoll overlooking the lake. I went up to meet him, threw some rocks in the lake and called it good. We hiked back down to camp where I summoned up the energy to take a dip in the icy lake. When you have four days of nastiness growing all over you, a dip in the lake, no matter how cold it is, was a pretty good option. I waded out and did get underwater. I attempted to make it out to the little island, but I lost the courage once the water went over my head. I did not want to get too chilly. Of course, as soon as I got out of the lake the big thunderstorm clouds started to roll in. We had been blessed with some good weather on this trip, but knew this storm was coming. We could see lightning striking the tall peaks around us and the big gray rain clouds pouring on opposite summits like Mt. Duckabush. Finally the storm hit us and we dove into the tiny tent. Dad has had the same tent for 20 years and it did not take long for the condensation to build up. I suggest he buys a new one because Jacqueline and I were in Tasmania with the rain just ripping down and we did not know it until we got out in the morning. The rain stayed for about 15 minutes and then we continued to watch the clouds and lightning. We enjoyed the evening with our excellent view. Ranger Cliff showed back up who we met at Honeymoon Meadows. He was a good guy with an excellent job. We talked with a couple of other groups who were also backpacking and were camping near us. But mostly we just did the normal of playing some cribbage and reading our books. The cribbage match was very close and was set up for a showdown for all the marbles the following night. Until then we had just one more day in the high Olympics and we enjoyed the evening.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

For the record, the old guy went in the lake also, for the good of the team. No photographer present for that one.