Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Jacqueline Goes Canyoneering

Occasionally I can drag my wife out for an adventurous trip. Brad and Sharon set a weekend aside to hang out with Jacqueline and I before we took off for Norwood. They wanted to do a canyon for quite some time with us, but my wife is not into risky things too much, so we decided to do Keyhole. Keyhole is like my default canyon. I had already been through it at least five times that year including a recent trip where the canyon was chocked full of debris. There was so much debris that Seth and I were literally crawling on top of the long swim through the canyon. On this day the canyon was muddy, but not any more difficult than normal. We threw on our wetsuits and were ready for the journey. We just so happened to be right in front of another group of Zion staff. Andrew, Dan, and some others were right behind us as we descended Keyhole. Jacqueline looked like an old pro and it was nice to go through the canyon with my wife. It was a short uneventful trip, but still enjoyable. We finished it off with a inner tube trip down the Virgin River. Annette and Greg met us for lunch at Cafe Sole, then we floated the river. It was actually a lot more fun then I thought as I had never done the trip before. We should have done it more often because it was a good time. You bumped your butt quite a bit, but most of the time it was easy to float the river and enjoy a cold beverage. We occassionally slipped through some ripples, but there was never anything too intense. It turned out to be a fun leisurely day outside enjoying the hot summer desert sun by playing in the water.

No comments: