Saturday, May 16, 2009

My Favorite Canyon in Zion

Working at the desk everyone always asks me what my favorite slot canyon in Zion is. My answer is always Right Fork without hesitation. I had only been in it once, though, and now three years later it was time to go again. I was scheduled to go through Parunaweap Canyon with veg, but it did not work out. So I counted my losses and went a different direction. Tim Hopp was coming into town for a few days, so I got him on board. Matt was yet to start work, so he was just hanging out. There was teammate number 2. Tim Lutterman and I wanted to do a canyon together for a while, so this just happened to work out well. So we were a team of four, the only one of which who knew what they were doing was me. I remembered the route like it was yesterday, though because it is so damn cool. 17 miles of no trail, just straight backcountry in Zion. The sweet thing was that I was going to get paid for this trip and I was stoked for that. We got a late start because we had to wait for Hopp to get in from Texas. We all met at the EOC at 11am and drove up to the trailheads. We left my truck at the Right Fork Trailhead, while we drove Tim's Explorer up to Lava Point. A short jaunt from there on the Wildcat Trail and then we dropped into Wildcat Canyon. This is one route that has no sign of human impact, especially in Wildcat Canyon. We hacked through the brush for some time until we finally found some much needed slickrock next to a blood red stream. We kept ourselves in and out of Wildcat Canyon as there seemed to be some much better routes out of it sometimes. Eventually it plopped us in the upper part of the Left Fork drainage. Oh the curiosity bug bites when I am at a point where I want to see the rest of something and I can not. That is how it was in the Left Fork. Up or down, both seemed like they would be fun to explore. It would be easy for me to come back, but we did not have time on this trip. So after finding a sketchy way out ( I am sure there must have been an easier way) we were now climbing uphill for the first time on this trip. The terrain was more friendly though with less brush to hack through for a while. We followed the wide open area to the top of a pass where we got a great view down into the Right Fork. This was not where we dropped in, though, and I remembered this from last trip. We had to stay far to the right and up on this nasty, brushy slope. I kept telling the guys that even though it did not look right, it was. I think they believed me and they really did when we finally got a view into the Right Fork from a very high viewpoint. From this spot, we made our way toward the wall to some slickrock relief. Matt got the worst of the brush as he had several very large gashes in his legs that would take a weeks to heal. We made our way down the slickrock where we ran into some water. We knew that this would probably be a good place to call home for the night. We found a spot and threw our stuff down. I looked around the corner and we were right above the first rappel. Perfect! We all staked out our bivy spot and made our dinner. The smell of everyones dinner made my bagel sandwich seem so pathetic. We played some cards later and Tim Hopp ran the table. I had a rough time getting to sleep, but once I did, I felt a lot better. We awoke at sun up and got ourselves going. Not very far at all to where we had to rappel. Tim L and I looked at it and thought that it looked downclimbable, so we did it. It was sketchy, but there was only one really bad spot. Matt and Tim Hopp rappelled it. Then it was some route finding and downclimbs until we came to the first rappel, a short 30 footer. I actually had to ascend the first rap because Hopp underestimated and did not throw enough rope out. It went fine and was an easy rappel. I wandered up the Right Fork a little ways with that hunger of curiosity growing in my stomach, but on this trip it was down the rest of the ways. We had a couple more short, awkward raps before we found ourselves staring face to face with my favorite Zion landmark, the Black Pool. We had been hyping up for this. Most of us even brought wetsuit tops. It was a good thing because it was a chilly morning. I got to take the initial plunge. I threw my pack in and started swimming. I thought I would be swimming for quite some time, but it was more like 100 feet instead of 100 yards. I walked out the rest of the way, then got out the camera to catch everyone else emerging. It was chilly and I kept my wetsuit top on for most of the rest of the morning. We got to do a really sweet rap after that off the side of a cliff into some shallow water. Now we were in the good stuff as the canyon became super deep and narrow. We ran into a rock slide that we had to get past and had some difficulties finding one of the rappels, but after a while of canyon hiking we were soon rappelling into the Grand Alcove. It took a couple of rappels, one of which that was very short and very awkward, but we all survived to take in the beauty. It is too bad that we could not see more of the Alcove, but by the time we were standing below it, the thought of swimming through some cold water to climb back into it was not enticing to anyone in the group. It did not take long after this to end up at Barrier Falls and our last rappel. Barrier Falls is so cool and slick. Hopp went first and he ended up rappelling right into the big cold pool and doing a swimming disconnect. The rest of us walked around. Now all that was left to do was a seven mile hike out. Luckily that was through scenary with lots of waterfalls. Double Falls get publicized because it is the first waterfall and the last easy one for someone to get to, but in Right Fork there are lots of waterfalls between Barrier Falls and Double Falls. I was in the mood to hike hard and fast, so that is what we did. We made good time to, getting out by 4:30pm. Matt was spent after the trip and I think I even hiked Tim Hopp into hiking like a normal person. It helps when you are a little bit in shape. It was an awesome trip and I was glad I had some good friends to share it with. Knowing that I was leaving Zion, this could have been the last chance for me to go through Right Fork and I was glad I got to share it with the Tims and Matt.

No comments: