Monday, February 16, 2009

Crater Hill

Driving on State Route 9 from Springdale down to the tri-cities (Toquerville, La Verkin, Hurricane), I have looked up to see Crater Hill rising above. I looked at the steep volcanic slope right near Coalpits Wash and thought that it would go. Since it was now the dead of winter, I figured there would be no better time to get into the Southwest Desert. I parked my car along the road right next to the big bend right past Coalpits Wash. I hopped the fence that put me in BLM land. I looked up the slope to see a herd of deer that looked fit and more scared of humans than the deer that wander around the south campground. I picked my way up the slope they came from and with not much work I was able to reach the high plateau that I would follow out to Crater Hill. I could not believe just how flat and barren the landscape was out there. The Kolob fire ripped through the area in 2006 and it is still struggling to get life back. The views were incredible as it is rare to have a 360 degree view with the Eagle's Crags, West Temple, Bishopric, Cougar Mountain, etc... After about an hour and a half, I found myself at the base of Crater Hill. There seemed to be an easy way around to the right, but I wanted to make it more challenging, so I went straight up Crater Hill. It was rather steep, but not anything to worry about as it was all soft volcanic scree. About halfway up, I looked up to see two condors fly right over my head. They literally looked like a plane taking off from such a close distance. I watched them fly away into the blue sky. Eventually, I topped out on the scree field to a short ridge walk to the summit. A cairn was put there to let me know that I was not the first. The views were great as volcanoes have that unique ability to shoot up in the middle of something so that there is a lot to see around you. I wandered on down the mountain to return after enjoying the top. I headed for the sandstone outcrops to the southwest of Crater Hill. I passed these on the hike up and thought I should check them out. They were so neat as they were a little miniature mudstone environment in the middle of a volcanic wasteland. There were little mazes and canyons within the sandstone. There were also lots of nests, holes, and animal bones showing that quite a few animals called this area home. I also saw plenty of petrified wood and chert. I was thinking that I may find some artifacts, but there did not seem to be signs left. I wandered through the area for a good forty-five minutes, looking closely but trying to avoid getting my face to close to all the animal feces that filled the nooks. Getting back to the car was a breeze as I was able to find a use trail that lead me right down all the steep volcanic boulders. I went back a week and a half later to check out the sedimentary rock I saw from the top of Crater Hill. This was to southeast of the peak. It was much of the same with lots of little canyons and so much petrified wood. The cool part was all of the petrified wood in the rock itself as whole trees were in there. This is definitely the place to go to get your fill of petrified wood. On the way up and on the way back, I saw the same herd of deer as this must be their territory. I could see how it would be nice in the winter season, but this part of the desert reaches the hundreds daily in the summer time.

No comments: