Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Two Subways and a Pine Creek

I hadn’t been in the Subway at all this year, which was shocking to Annette. So I ended up doing it twice within the span of a week. I went once with Seth and the next time with Matt. Seth and I set off the Personal Locator Beacon for a test, while Matt and I were just in there for the work of it. Seth and I had a smooth trip running into some people at first who were jumping the first rappel. When we told them that it was on their permit that they could not do that, they showed their attitudes by saying, well we’ll believe you because you have the badge. We had enough of them, so we flew past them. Matt and I had an even more exciting run in when we found a group of seventeen at the trailhead. Luckily, Pete Sawtell was giving us a ride, so he got to do all the rangering. Still, we were there for a whole hour arguing and one of the people called me an idiot. I am sorry, but if there is one rule I like especially well is our group size limits. If I am going into the backcountry, last thing I want to see is fifteen people tromping on the resource ahead of me. Matt and I did the trip quickly as some of that group was rather hostile. Just as a note, we were able to do the horrible hill climb out in under ten minutes, so anyone worrying about really should just suck it up for those ten to fifteen minutes of work. Within a couple days later, Seth, Tim and I went through Pine Creek. It was a really fun trip as these guys had enough experience to basically lead me through Pine Creek. It was very smelly, but still an enjoyable trip. After the last big free hanging rappel, I said to Seth, “it would just be crazy to see someone take that fall. I can’t even imagine it.” Unfortunately the next day, I did have to imagine it as that was the day that Kaitlyn took the fall. I am still amazed that she did not die or become paralyzed. Either way, it sent us into shock at work for a few weeks.

No comments: